Another reason why we are very proud of the Ashgrove Farm Fresh Milk supply to the Ashgrove factory!
Below is a fascinating article released today about Bobby Calving in Australia.
Quote – Regrettably, the bobby calves have been viewed by most dairy farmers as the unfortunate unwanted bi-product, too costly to feed beyond the legislated minimum 5-day holding period.
Did you know Ashgrove Farms stopped Bobby Calving practices ten years ago?
Did you know the Ashgrove Farm Team were one of the first in the country to do so – a choice made when beef prices were low?
We believe the alternative is simple and is why we choose our fresh milk to be supplied direct from the Ashgrove Farms Dairies.
- All the calves born onto the Ashgrove Farms are hand reared to 2 to 3 years of age;
- The boys are raised for the beef market and the girls eventually placed into the milking herds;
- The Ashgrove calves are taken from their mothers – (and we do understand this is far from being prefect or ok);
- However, the baby calves are not sold at 5 days old, as Bobby calves;
The Ashgrove team proudly down stream processes from grass to cow to you.
- We know we don’t get everything right in this process, however we have always believed saying no to bobby calves is a step in the right direction.
- We have even been in contact with the RSPCA and asked – when will they have a PAW of approval for the dairy industry?
Life has to be about continually improving – Make Hay not War.
Choose Ashgrove Milk.