Cauliflower and Smoked Cheese Gratin
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 55 minutes | Serves: 6
70g Ashgrove Parmesan, finely grated
100g Lake Burbury Tasmanian Smoked Havarti, grated
70g Ashgrove Traditional Farmhouse Butter
550mL Ashgrove Full Cream Milk, cold
1kg cauliflower (approx. 1 large head)
50g panko or other fresh breadcrumbs, dried
30g plain flour
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp salt
1 bunch chives, finely chopped
1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Cut cauliflower into large, but even sized florets. Boil for 3 minutes, drain and arrange in baking dish.
3. Melt 30g of butter in a small saucepan and add the breadcrumbs. Mix to combine, then set aside.
4. Next, make the béchamel sauce. Melt the remaining butter (40g) in a small saucepan set over a medium heat. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes while mixing with a wooden spoon. Gradually add the milk, then the bay leaf.
5. Switch to a whisk and whisk the mixture until smooth, then go back to a wooden spoon and continuously stir the mixture, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan so that it doesn't burn. Once the mixture simmers, remove it from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
6. Add the salt, Parmesan, chives, nutmeg and a pinch of freshly cracked black pepper. Mix well and taste. Add more seasonings if required.
7. Pour sauce over cauliflower and spread evenly, then sprinkle with the grated Smoked Havarti. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 15 minutes in a fan-forced oven (20 minutes for a conventional oven).
8. Remove from oven and top with breadcrumbs. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown. Serve immediately.